INGREDIENTS 2 cans (14-ounce/400 mL each)of premium coconut milk 1 heaping tablespoon (20 mL) of Thai curry paste the tender stems of 1 bunch of cilantro, rinsed well 2 chicken breasts, thinly sliced 2 cups (500 mL0 of chicken broth 1 carrot, shredded 4 or […]
For the cake
- 225g/8oz plain flour
- 350g/12½oz caster sugar
- 85g/3oz cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 free-range eggs
- 250ml/9fl oz milk
- 125ml/4½fl oz vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250ml/9fl oz boiling water
For the chocolate icing
- 200g/7oz plain chocolate
- 200ml/7fl oz double cream
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Grease and line two 20cm/8in sandwich tins.
- For the cake, place all of the cake ingredients, except the boiling water, into a large mixing bowl. Using a wooden spoon, or electric whisk, beat the mixture until smooth and well combined.
- Add the boiling water to the mixture, a little at a time, until smooth. (The cake mixture will now be very liquid.)
- Divide the cake batter between the sandwich tins and bake in the oven for 25–35 minutes, or until the top is firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and allow to cool completely, still in their tins, before icing.
- For the chocolate icing, heat the chocolate and cream in a saucepan over a low heat until the chocolate melts. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk the mixture until smooth, glossy and thickened. Set aside to cool for 1–2 hours, or until thick enough to spread over the cake.
- To assemble the cake, run a round-bladed knife around the inside of the cake tins to loosen the cakes. Carefully remove the cakes from the tins.
- Spread a little chocolate icing over the top of one of the chocolate cakes, then carefully top with the other cake.
- Transfer the cake to a serving plate and ice the cake all over with the chocolate icing, using a palette knife.
INGREDIENTS 3 (24 oz total) large chicken breast halves 1 large egg 2 tsp water 3/4 cup whole wheat seasoned breadcrumbs 2 cups broccoli floret, cooked, chopped small 5 slices reduced fat Swiss cheese (I used Lacy Swiss) salt spray oil toothpicks INSTRUCTIONS Preheat oven […]
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced/pressed
- Grated rind of 1 lemon (save juice for yogurt sauce)
- 1/4 tsp each salt & pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground cuminSauce
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp reduced fat feta cheese crumbles
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Combine all the burger ingredients together in a bowl. Mix well and form into six patties.
- Heat a grill pan over medium high heat and spray with cooking spray. Add patties and cook about 5 minutes per side or until cooked through (internal temp should read 165F).
- Meanwhile, combine all yogurt sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Remove burgers from heat, let cool slightly and add yogurt sauce over top for serving.
INGREDIENTS 3 ripe bananas, mashed 1/2 cup peanut or almond butter 1/4 cup honey 1/2 tsp salt 2 1/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats 1/3 cup chocolate chips, raisins, or dried cranberries INSTRUCTIONS Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Mix together […]
For Muffin Batter
- 1 cup milk (low-fat is fine)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 12 tablespoons (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened but still cool
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled-off
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated nutmeg
For Muffin Topping
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a standard-size muffin pan generously with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine milk and lemon juice in a measuring cup and set aside.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until just mixed in. Stir in the vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg. Stir with a whisk until well combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, mix a quarter of the dry ingredients into the butter mixture. Then mix in a third of the milk mixture. Continue mixing in the remaining dry and wet ingredients alternately, ending with the dry. Mix until well combined and smooth, but don’t over-mix. The batter will be very thick.
- Scoop enough batter into each tin so that the top of the batter is even with the rim of the cup. (I like to use an ice cream scoop with a wire scraper for this.) Bake the muffins until firm to the touch, 25-30 minutes. Set pan on rack to cool for a few minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the topping: melt the butter in a small dish and combine the cinnamon and sugar in another small dish.
- When the muffins are cool enough to handle, use a pastry brush to paint the top of each muffin with butter, then sprinkle generously with cinnamon-sugar. If you have cinnamon-sugar left over, sprinkle muffins again. Serve warm, or cool on a rack and wrap airtight. Store at room temperature. Reheat muffins briefly in microwave for that fresh out of the oven taste.
INGREDIENTS 2 1/2 cups fresh seedless watermelon roughly chopped 1/2 heaping cup fresh or frozen pineapple roughly chopped 1/2 ripe banana roughly chopped 1/2 cup coconut water 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt 2 tablespoons lime juice INSTRUCTIONS Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend […]