- 4 – 5 chicken thigh fillets , skin on and bone in (about 6oz/200g each)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tin (14oz/400g) crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatos
- 3 (around 1.5lb/ 750g in total) medium size potatoes , peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese , grated (or any other good melting cheese)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 tbsp each dried rosemary and thyme (OR oregano) leaves (or 2 tbsp fresh)
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 3 tbsp red wine or white wine vinegar (Note 1)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- Basil leaves (optional)
Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
Mix together Italian Dressing ingredients.
Boil or microwave the potatoes until slightly undercooked – about 5 minutes boiling / 5 minutes on high in a steamer in the microwave. Use a fork to rough the potatoes up a bit – this allows the potatoes to absorb more of the dressing flavour – and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1/2 tbsp olive oil in large oven proof skillet over high heat.
Add chicken and brown well on both sides – around 5 minutes each side.
Remove skillet from heat, and pour off the excess fat.
Place potatoes around the chicken and pour over the crushed tomatoes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and drizzle the Italian Dressing all over.
Place cherry tomatoes on top and bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Remove from oven and sprinkle on cheese, then bake for a further 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden.
Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with basil leaves if you wish.