For the Cake
- 1 and 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup room temperature butter
- 2 room temperature, large eggs
- 1 cup ripe banana, mashed
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, *optional
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (not whipped)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 and 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 15x10x2 inch jelly roll pan.
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar, sour cream, butter, and eggs until creamy.
- Blend in bananas and vanilla extract.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt. Blend for 1 minutes.
- *Stir in walnuts.
- Evenly spread the batter on the prepared pan.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
For the Caramel Frosting
- On medium heat, bring the sugar, butter, and whipping cream to a boil.
- Boil 1 minutes exactly.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in vanilla extract.
- Slowly whisk in powdered sugar and whisk for 3 to 5 minutes to thicken.
- Immediately pour over cake. Quickly spread evenly.
- Store in an airtight container on the counter for 2 days or refrigerated 3 to 5 days.