- 9″ pre-baked pie crust
- 3 large bananas, sliced (two for the bottom of the pie and one for garnishing the top)
For the filling:
- 2 ¼ cups milk (divided)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 large egg yolks (beaten)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or banana flavoring)
For the Topping:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2-3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract(or banana flavoring)
- Using a double boiler, heat 1 ¾ cup milk to boiling over medium heat.
- While the milk is heating, mix together the sugar, salt, cornstarch, and flour. Add the remaining ½ cup of milk and whisk until smooth.
- Drizzle the milk/sugar mixture into the hot milk, whisking as you drizzle it in.
- Cook, stirring constantly until it starts to thicken, then reduce heat to low, cover the pan and cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Place the egg yolks in a small bowl and whisk them to break up the yolks.
- Remove 3 tablespoons of hot cream and add it to the eggs, whisking as you add it to temper the eggs.
- Add the egg mixture into the hot cream. Whisk and cook for an additional 2 minutes or until thick.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add in the butter and vanilla. Stir well.
- Slice 2 bananas and arrange them in the bottom of the baked pie crust.
- Pour the cream over the bananas into the pie crust. Smooth the top.
- Allow it to cool for 10 minutes, then cover the pie and refrigerate.
- Once the pie is cool, prepare the whipped cream.
- Use a high powered hand mixer or stand mixer to beat the cold cream, sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the whipped cream over the cooled pie.
- Decorate the top of the pie with sliced bananas right before serving.
- Refrigerate until serving and refrigerate any leftovers.