Braised Fish in Spicy Black Bean Sauce
- 300g mackerel fish, sliced into 2 pieces
- 1 tbsp shredded ginger
- 2 whole garlics, crushed
- 1 pc red chili, sliced
- 2 tbsp cooking oil (for pan frying fish)
- 200ml water
- 1 tbsp spicy bean sauce
- 1 tbsp black beans
- 1 tsp light soya sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- dash of salt
- some diced spring onion (for garnishing)
- Soak the black beans in some water very briefly, around 1 minute to remove some of the saltiness. You can soak it slightly longer if you prefer even less salty. Drain well thereafter.
- Rinse and pat dry the fish. Apply dash of salt all over it. This can prevent the fish from breaking up during cooking. Heat up the cooking oil in a frying pan and pan fried the fish on both sides until slightly brown (Be sure to use a non stick pan.) Remove the fish and drain well on paper towel.
- Continue with the same pan, stir fried the garlics, shredded ginger and sliced chilli until fragrant.
- Add the spicy bean paste, black beans, light soya sauce, sugar and water and bring it to a boil.
- Add the pan fried fish and allowed the fish to simmer in the sauce for approximately 5 minutes.
- Dish and serve. Garnish with some spring onion as desired.