Broccoli Fritters with Cheddar Cheese
- 8 ounces broccoli, cut into small pieces or chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 Tbsp oat fiber or almond flour, or powdered pork rinds (regular flour if not low carb)
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil or your favorite
- Cut fresh broccoli crowns and stems into 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch pieces. Steam lightly in the microwave or in a steamer. Drain any excess water and dry with paper towels if wet. (If using leftover broccoli, drain well and chop into small bite-sized pieces.)
- Toss or stir the broccoli with your flour of choice and the Cajun seasoning to coat. Add the egg and stir. Add the cheddar cheese and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Place a cast iron or non-stick pan over medium heat until hot. Add the oil and swirl to coat the pan. A non stick pan needs less oil. Visually divide the mixture into fourths and spoon into the pan, arranging in a low mound or patty. Scrape any tumbled pieces back into the piles.
- Cook on one side until the cheese on the top of the patty begins to melt and the bottom is crusty brown, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side until browned.
- Makes 4 large patties, 2.8 NC each. Serve topped with an egg or with a dipping sauce.