FOR THE MUSHROOM “BACON”
- 500 g / 1lb white cup mushroomsthinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- optional 2 tbsp beetroot juice, for colour
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt preferably smoked salt
FOR THE SPROUTS
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or olive oil
- 750 g / 1 1/2 lbs Brussels sproutstrimmed and outer leaves removed
MAKE THE MUSHROOM “BACON”
In a medium bowl, stir all the ingredients together until well combined.
Heat a frying pan or skillet on medium-high and cook for 5-10 minutes until dark and crispy on the edges.
Remove from the heat and set aside.
COOK THE SPROUTS
In a medium saucepan, melt the vegan butter or drizzle in the olive oil. Add the Brussels sprouts and coat.
Add 60ml / 1/4 cup hot water, cover with a lid and leave to cook on medium heat for 5-8 minutes until the sprouts are tender.
Once cooked, add the mushroom bacon and stir on a medium heat for a couple of minutes to warm through.
Serve right away.