CHICKEN BACON PRESSED PICNIC SANDWICHES WITH RASPBERRY HONEY MUSTARD
Prep Time : 20 mins
- 2 loaves sesame semolina, unsliced
- 1/2 cup honey mustard
- 1/2 cup raspberry preserves
- 1.5 to 2 pounds shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 pound bacon, cooked
- 1 pound sliced extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced
- 4 large handfuls of baby spinach
- Using a bread knife, cut the very top of the loaves off. You don’t want the bread pieces to be even halves– you only want to take the very tops off of the loaves so you can hollow out the bottom pieces and fill them with your sandwich ingredients.
- Cut around the inside of the bottom halves, making sure not to cut all the way through. Remove the majority of the tender bread in the center.
- Whisk together the honey mustard and the preserves. spread a generous amount in the bottom bread pieces. Reserve the rest of the raspberry honey mustard for later.
- Press the chicken over the raspberry honey mustard. Then layer with the bacon, cheddar cheese, red onion, and baby spinach, in that order. Press down as you go so that you can fit as much filling as possible.
- Cover the sandwiches with the top bread piece and wrap them very, very tightly with plastic wrap all over. Place the sandwiches in the refrigerator and top them with heavy objects to press them down– cast iron skillets, heavy books, and weights balanced on baking sheets all work well. You want to have about 30 pounds of total pressure on them, if possible, but less will still work.
- Allow the sandwiches to press and the flavors to marry overnight, or for at least 4 hours.