Chicken Pot Pie Soup
For the Soup
- 4 (2 lbs) chicken breast halves, cut into bite-sized pieces or 2 to 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil/Canola Oil/Vegetable Oil
- 1/3 cup butter unsalted
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 4 teaspoons chicken base (bouillon)
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- ½ small yellow onion diced
- 1 cup frozen green peas thawed
- 1 cup frozen carrots thawed
- Pinch nutmeg freshly grated, optional
For the Pastry Sticks
- 2 Sheets Puff Pastry Thawed per package instructions;
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until cooked through. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Then into the same large Dutch oven, melt butter and saute the onions until they soften; about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute for another minute. Then sprinkle the flour over the onions and garlic, stir until consistency of peanut butter, but do not brown like a roux — you want it to remain a light golden color.
- Add the chicken base, chicken stock (or water), and heavy cream. Stir until combined.
- Add the chicken and any collected juice back into the soup. Add peas, carrots. continue to cook on low until heated through.
- Prepare puff pastry by cutting the dough into 1-inch wide strips.
- Bake puff pastry in the oven on a baking sheet lightly sprayed with cooking oil or a silicone baking mat for 15 minutes or until golden brown and puffy.