CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions roughly chopped (about 2½ cups)
- 4 cloves garlic coarsely chopped
- 1 green or red bell pepper deseeded and roughly chopped
- 6 6-inch corn tortillas, cut into small pieces (about 1¼ cups) see note
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 8 cups low sodium chicken stock or broth
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken shredded
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Sour cream
- Handful chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 avocados diced
Heat olive oil and butter in large pot over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and green pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and just starting to brown, about 10-15 minutes.
Add cut corn tortillas, chili powder and cumin; continue to cook, stirring occasionally, a few minutes more. Add chicken stock, salt and cayenne pepper (if adding) and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low and simmer for about 20 minutes.
Remove the soup from the heat and puree until completely smooth. An immersion blender is easiest for this or blend in batches in your blender. Stir in chicken, then ladle soup into bowls and garnish.