- 1 3/4 cups / 265g plain / all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup / 55g cocoa powder , unsweetened (Note 2)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda (bi-carb soda)
- 2 cups / 440g white sugar (Note 1)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs (~55-65g / 2 oz each)
- 1 cup / 250 ml milk (low or full fat)
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml vegetable oil (or canola)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup / 250 ml boiling water
CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 1 1/2 batches Chocolate
Buttercream Frosting (slide scaler on recipe)
Preheat oven to 180C/350F (standard) or 160C / 320F (fan/convection).
Read Note 4 regarding shelf positions.
Grease 2 x 22cm/9″ cake pans with butter, then line the base. (See Note 3 regarding springform pans and other pan sizes).
Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda into a large bowl. Add Sugar and salt. Whisk briefly to combine.
Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Whisk well to combine until lump free – about 30 seconds.
Add boiling water and whisk to incorporate. The batter is VERY thin (see video).
Pour batter into cake pans.
Bake for 35 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. See Note 4 regarding cook time if pans are on different shelves.
Cool for 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire racks upside down (Note 5).
Cool completely before frosting. I frosted the cake with my Chocolate Buttercream Frosting(scale recipe up by 50%)