CHORIZO, CARAMELIZED ONION, AND POBLANO SAUSAGE ROLLS WITH CREAMY CILANTRO DIP
Prep Time : 30MINS / Cook Time : 1HOURS
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 1 pound puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons black sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or white sesame seeds, to top
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 large handful fresh cilantro
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup prepared salsa
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and then add in the onion and poblano. Season with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Saute, stirring occasionally, until the onions have softened and begun to brown around the edges, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, work together the chorizo sausage meat and the caramelized onions and poblanos. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Cut each pastry sheet into thirds, and place onto the parchment paper.
- Divide the chorizo mixture evenly amongst the pastry sections, forming a long line down the center of each. Fold the pastry sheet around the sausage mixture, pinching the edges to seal. Flip the rolls over so that the seam-side is down.
- Brush the puff pastry with the beaten egg and sprinkle the sesame seeds on top. Gently slice the sausage rolls into bite-sized pieces. Separate them, making sure to give each piece plenty of room to puff up as it cooks.
- Bake the sausages until golden brown and cooked through, about 30-35 minutes.
- As the sausage rolls bake, make the dip. In a food processor, combine the sour cream, cilantro, minced garlic, and salsa. Process until well-combined.
- Serve the chorizo sausage rolls warm with the creamy cilantro dip.