- 4 cups sliced and peeled apples
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- To prepare the apples, peel and core about 4 apples. Slice them into about 1/4 inch thick slices and place them into a large bowl. Pour the sugar over the apples and give them a quick toss with your hands and then add the lemon juice. Let the apples and the sugar sit for about 30-45 minutes. This process with soften the apples and the sugar will become liquid.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the oil, eggs and vanilla to the apple mixture and stir together with a spoon.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves. Mix together until the baking soda and spices are evenly distributed through the dry ingredients mixture. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and combine with a spoon carefully until the dry mixture is just incorporated.
- Spray a 9×9 baking dish with baking spray and line with parchment paper. Transfer the batter into the baking dish and bake in a preheated oven for 50-55 minutes, or until a knife can be inserted in the center and comes out clean.
- Serve with freshly whipped cream.