- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 440g (14 1/2oz) skinless chicken breast
- 900ml (1 1/2pt) chicken stock
- pinch saffron
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 227g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 31g (1 1/4oz) pack flatleaf parsley, leaves roughly chopped and half the stalks reserved
- 1 tsp paprika
- 250g (8oz) Spanish paella rice
- 1 x 285g jar roasted peppers, drain and rinse them
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Heat half the oil in a paella pan (or a wide frying pan) over a medium-high heat. Add the chicken, season, and cook until golden. Remove and set aside.
- Bring the chicken stock to the boil in a pan. Stir in the saffron, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Fry the onion in the remaining oil for 5 minutes, or until soft and golden. Add the garlic, tomatoes, parsley stalks and paprika; fry for 2 minutes. Stir in the rice, then season well. Pour over the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and leave the rice to cook uncovered, without stirring, for 10 minutes.
- Spread the chicken pieces evenly over the rice; don’t stir, just press them under the stock. Scatter over the pepper strips. Gently shake the pan, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the stock is absorbed and the chicken is cooked through.
- Turn off the heat, cover tightly with foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Serve with the chopped parsley, a good squeeze of lemon and the remaining lemon wedges.