Creamy Brussels Sprouts Gratin
- 1 pound (450g) Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch (or flour)
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan
1. Preheat oven to 400°F(200°C). Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook for 6-8 minutes. Drain the Brussels sprouts and set aside for later.
2. In a cast iron skillet (or any oven proof skillet), heat 1 tablespoon butter and fry garlic and onion with Italian seasoning and red chili pepper flakes over medium heat until fragrant, 1 or 2 minutes. Whisk in 2 teaspoons cornstarch (or flour) until fully incorporated.
3. Stir in broth in the skillet and mix until the sauce thickens a bit. Pour cream over and whisk until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then spread out Brussels sprouts evenly into the sauce. Give a quick stir to coat well and sprinkle with Parmesan.
4. Transfer the skillet and bake the gratin until bubbly and golden brown, about 15 minutes.