- 4-6 large chicken thighs, OR 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts pounded to even thickness
- 3 tablespoons oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ⅔ cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cups half and half OR heavy cream (for richer, creamier flavor use heavy cream)
- ⅔ cup grated parmesan cheese, plus additional for topping
- fresh parsley or thyme, for topping
- In a large bowl combine chicken, oil, salt and pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning and toss.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the chicken on both sides doe 2-4 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add butter to pan and stir until melted. Stir in garlic and mushrooms. Continue to cook 3-4 minutes over medium-high heat until butter begins to darken and mushrooms are tender.
- Sprinkle flour into the pan and stir to combine. Whisk in chicken broth and milk or heavy cream. Stir in parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- Return chicken to pan and spoon a little of the sauce over the chicken. Cover and bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Spoon more sauce over the chicken and sprinkle with cracked black pepper, grated parmesan cheese, and fresh parsley or thyme and serve immediately.