- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth (like Kitchen Basics ® Original Chicken Stock)
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick Garlic Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick Onion Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick Ground Ginger
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream (see note)
- 4 slices white bread
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- fresh basil, for topping
1. In a large pot whisk together broth, pumpkin, garlic powder, onion powder, ground ginger, sugar, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil over high heat.
2. Once boiling, stir in heavy cream. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 5-10 minutes longer.
3. While soup is simmering, prepare the croutons. Butter one side of each slice of bread, on opposite side place one slice of provolone, top with goat cheese crumbles, then another slice of provolone and top with second slice of buttered bread. Cook in a lightly greased pan over medium-high heat 3-4 minutes on each side until cheese is melty. Cut into 1-inch pieces.
4. Serve soup hot, topped with cracked black pepper and fresh basil and serve with grilled cheese croutons.