CREAMY VEGAN MAC AND CHEESE
- 2 medium yellow potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- ¼ medium yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup raw cashews*
- scant ¼ cup large-flake nutritional yeast
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- dash of freshly ground black pepper
- 12 oz dry pasta shells
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil for the vegetables. Boil the potatoes and garlic clove for 2 minutes. Add the carrots and boil for 5 additional minutes. Add the onion and boil for 7 additional minutes.
- While the vegetables are boiling, add the remaining ingredients except the pasta to a blender. Drain the veggies saving the water (1 ½ cups), add them to a blender along with the saved water; blend on high until smooth and creamy. It makes about 4 cups of sauce.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil for the pasta and cook according to the package. Drain and return to the pot. Stir 3 cups of the sauce into the cooked pasta, reserving 1 cup for stirring in later if all the mac and cheese won’t be all eaten immediately. Serve hot.