- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups butterscotch chips
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- Line a 9″ x 13″ pan with parchment paper or wax paper.
- Gently melt together the chocolate and butterscotch chips. You can do this by combining them in a microwave-safe bowl and heating in the microwave 15-30 seconds at a time, stirring well after each burst of heat until smooth. Or in the top of a double-boiler or in a heat-proof bowl set over a pot of simmering water. I usually melt chocolate very, very carefully in a heavy saucepan over very low heat, stirring frequently until the chocolate is just melted. Chocolate can scorch really easily, so best to do this slowly and gently.
- Once melted, add the peanut butter and stir until smooth.
- Remove from the heat and add the cereal, stirring until it’s completely coated with chocolate.
- Then add the marshmallows and stir until they’re evenly distributed. The reason I waited to add the marshmallows was to give the melted chocolate a chance to cool down slightly so they didn’t just melt into the mixture – you want whole marshmallows in your bars.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared pan and even it out with a spatula. Refrigerate until firm, then slice into squares.
- These bars will keep best in the fridge, but I kept them at warm room temperature for several days and they were fine, just a bit soft.