- 6 cups of apples (cored, peeled and sliced)
- 1/2 cup dulce de leche
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 2 pie crusts
- 1 egg white mixed with 1 teaspoon of water
- Toss the apples in the dulce de leche, cider and vanilla,
- Mix the sugars, cornstarch, spices and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients.
- Fit one of the pie crusts into a 9 inch pie plate and pour the apples in.
- Fit the remaining pie crust on top and brush with the egg white mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake in a preheated 400F/200C oven for 40 minutes.
- Reduce to 375F/190C, remove the foil and bake until golden brown, about 30-40 minutes.
- Let cool completely.