Earl Grey Creme Caramel
For the caramel
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup water
For the Earl Grey custard
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Earl Grey tea bags
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- a pinch of kosher salt
To make the caramel:
- Mist four 4-ounce ramekins with non-stick spray.
- Place the sugar and water in a small pot over high heat.
- Bring to a boil and continue to cook until the liquid turns a deep amber color.
- Carefully pour an equal amount of the hot caramel into each of the prepared ramekins.
To make the Earl Grey custard:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F, and line a 9×9-inch square baking pan with paper towels.
- Place the milk and cream in a small pot over medium-low heat, and bring to a simmer.
- Turn off the heat and add the tea bags.
- Allow to steep for 5 to 10 minutes, then remove the tea bags from the liquid.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the sugar, eggs, yolks, vanilla, and salt together until combined.
- Pour the hot cream mixture into the egg mixture, a little at a time, while whisking.
- Transfer the custard to a large liquid measuring cup, and pour an equal amount into each of the prepared ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in the larger, paper towel-lined baking dish, and pour hot water into the larger dish until it comes about an inch up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake for 55 to 65 minutes, or until the custards are set around the edges and just slightly jiggly toward their centers.
- Cool completely, then chill in the refrigerator until cold (about 2 hours).
- Run a thin, sharp knife around the edge of each ramekin, then invert the Earl Grey creme caramels onto serving plates.