EASY GRILLED TERIYAKI TOFU W/ QUINOA & BROCCOLI
- 14 oz firm or extra firm tofu, pressed for 15 minutes then sliced into 4 rectangles
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 large broccoli head, chopped
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ cup water
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup chiffonade fresh basil
- dash of sesame seeds, for garnish
- Press the tofu to remove water, then slice. Grill each slice in a nonstick grill pan over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes on each side, until they have nice marks. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, toast the dry quinoa over medium heat for about 1 minute then slowly add the water (carefully as it will spit in the hot pan). Bring to a boil over high heat with a dash of salt then reduce to a simmer and cover; cook for 15 minutes until all the water has evaporated. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork; cover and set aside.
- While the quinoa cooks, chop the broccoli and steam for about 5 minutes until bright green and still retains some crunch. Remove from steam basket and set aside.
- In a liquid measuring cup, whisk together the soy sauce through the agave. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat in a small saucepan. Whisk together the cornstarch and cold water then slowly whisk into the soy sauce mixture; simmer for a few minutes until thickened slightly. Remove from heat.
- To plate, place ¼ of quinoa and broccoli in a shallow bowl, top with one rectangle of tofu, drizzle with the sauce then top with green onions, basil, and sesame seeds. Repeat with 3 more bowls. Serve hot.