- 2 1/2 cups milk or half and half (I like to use fat free half and half)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- optional toppings: marshmallows, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, chocolate shavings, caramel sauce, crushed peppermint candies
- optional stir-ins: 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies
Combine milk and sugar in a medium sauce pan. Stir over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved. Stir in cocoa powder. Reduce heat to medium.
Stir in heavy cream and chocolate chips. Continue to stir slowly until chocolate is completely melted and incorporated. Stir in vanilla.
Top with whipped cream, marshmallows, or any other favorite toppings and serve.