- 2 small chicken breasts – 1lb/500g in total, at room temperature
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- ¼ tsp each onion and garlic powder (optional – extra flavour)
- 1½ tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¾ cup chicken broth / stock
- 3 tbsp honey
- ¼ cup lemon juice (fresh)
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
To serve (optional)
- Lemon slices
- Finely chopped parsley
- Slice each chicken breast horizontally to form 4 steaks in total. OPTIONAL: Pound to even thickness about 1cm/ 2/5″ thick.
- Sprinkle each side generously with salt and pepper.
- Combine flour, onion and garlic powder (if using) on a plate. Coat the chicken in the flour, shaking off excess. SAVE FLOUR (step 7)
- Place butter, oil and garlic in a skillet over medium high heat until butter is melted and hot. Add chicken and cook for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Turn and cook the other side until golden brown, then transfer onto a plate to rest.
- Turn heat down to medium high and return skillet to stove. Add chicken broth / stock and bring to simmer. Use a spatula to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan into the liquid.
- Add remaining ingredients, mix and simmer for 2 minutes until slightly thickened.
- OPTIONAL: Mix ½ tsp of flour from step 2 with a splash of water. Add to the pan (to thicken the sauce slightly).
- Add salt and pepper to the sauce to taste. Return the chicken to the pan for 30 seconds (with lemon slices if using), turning to coat in the sauce.
- Serve chicken with plenty of sauce!