- 2 pounds of butternut squash, cleaned and diced*
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1-8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 3-4 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or coconut cream
- garlic croutons (see notes)
- INSTANT POT: add everything but the heavy cream into the instant pot. Start with 3 teaspoons of cajun seasoning if you want something mild-medium. Add 4 if you want it spicy. Hit the manual button and on high pressure set the time for 30 minutes. Let it all hang out in the pressure cooker for 10 minutes before venting, or vent immediately if you’re in a hurry.
- SLOW COOKER: spray a 6-quart slow cooker or larger with non-stick spray. Add in all the ingredients except heavy cream. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8. Squash is done when you can easily pierce it with a fork.
- FINISH THE SOUP: Blend the soup until smooth using an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a conventional blender and blend until smooth. Place everything back into the IP or slow cooker and stir in the cream. Adjust with additional cream or broth as desired. It was perfect for us as is!