- 1 1/2 cups green or brown lentils
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 6 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (use more for more spice or omit if sensitive to spice)
- 1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1/2 large lemon)
- Cooked brown rice, for serving
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
- Rinse and drain the lentils, then set aside. Set the Instant Pot to sauté and add the coconut oil. Once the oil has melted, add 1 tablespoon water, the shallot, ginger, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until very fragrant and the shallot is soft, about 2 minutes. Add the curry powder, coconut sugar, salt, turmeric, and cayenne and stir vigorously. Stand back and try not to breath in any of the steam coming from the pot (it’s spicy!). Add the lentils, coconut milk, and 1 cup of water. Stir to coat the lentils completely with the liquid.
- Hit cancel to stop the sauté function, seal the lid, then set to cook on HIGH pressure for 15 minutes. (It will take about 8 minutes for the pressure to build, then the timer will begin.) Once the timer has stopped, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then vent to release the pressure completely. Open the lid and stir in the lemon juice. Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired. If the curry is too thick, add a bit more water to loosen as needed. Serve hot with rice, sprinkled with cilantro.