Instant Pot Spanish Rice With Sardines in Tomato Sauce
- 3.75 oz King Oscar’s Brisling Sardines in Zesty Tomato Sauce
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup long grain white rice *times may vary with a different kind of rice
- 20 oz canned diced tomatoes with chilies, drained
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander (optional)
- Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- Set the Instant Pot to its Sauté mode. When your Instant Pot is hot, add the oil. Then, add the sliced garlic, diced onion, and diced bell pepper. Sauté for 2-3 minutes; stir often to prevent the garlic from burning.
- Add the uncooked rice and stir to coat the rice in oil, mixing it well with the onion, garlic, and pepper. Transfer the vegetable broth, crushed tomatoes and chiles, and spices to the Instant Pot. Stir everything well to combine the ingredients.
- Turn the Sauté function off by clicking on the Keep Warm/Cancel button. Place and secure/lock the lid on your Instant Pot and ensure that the pressure knob is set to the Sealing position.
- Click on the Manual button and set the Instant Pot to cook, on High Pressure, for 8 minutes. Once the 8 minutes is up and your Instant Pot starts to beep, it will start its natural release process. Let it naturally release for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, carefully move the pressure knob from sealing to venting for a quick release. Steam will spit out of the valve, so be careful. Once the steam has fully released, it’s safe to remove the Instant Pot lid.
Fluff the rice with a fork. Finally, transfer the contents of the brisling sardines in tomato sauce into the Instant Pot. With a large spoon or spatula, break the sardines down into chunks and stir into the rice.
Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and serve.