- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds beef chuck roast , trimmed and cut into 1 – 2 inch chunks (or if you can’t find chuck roast – use beef stew meat)
- 1 -2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/3 cup flour , use gluten free flour or arrowroot starch if needed (leave out for keto)
- cooking oil
- 1 medium onion cut into large chunks
- 3-4 cloves garlic , minced
- 6 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bottle , 1 pint 16 oz Guinness Extra Stout
- 4 medium Yukon potatoes , peeled and chopped into 1 inch chunks (sub with turnips or cauliflower for low carb / keto)
- 3 medium carrots , peeled and cut into slices (leave out for low carb / keto)
- 2 celery rubs , chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups beef broth , homemade or low sodium
- water as needed to cover the vegetables
- 1-2 Tablespoons fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- 1/2 star anise optional but adds SO much depth and flavor
- 1/2 cup peas , leave out for keto
- salt and pepper to taste
TO THICKEN STEW (OPTIONAL):
- Make a slurry with 2 Tablespoons cornstarch or flour , all purpose, gluten free or arrowroot powder+ 3 tablespoons cool water
- Instant Pot I have the 6 Quart DUO PLUS
- In a large zip-top bag, combine flour, salt, pepper, onion powder, oregano, thyme and rosemary. Add meat and shake until well coated.
- Browning the meat: (feel free to skip to step 5 and add all the ingredients together instead). Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE, add cooking oil and brown the meat on all sides. Meat will not be cooked through. (Be sure not to crowd the pot – you may have to work in batches). Transfer browned meat onto a large plate.
- Place the pot back in the pressure cooker and add onions and garlic and sauté for a minute or two then add the Guinness stout and tomato paste until just hot enough to deglaze the pot, about 1 minute.
- Add the beef back into the pot along with potatoes, carrots, celery, Worcestershire sauce, the remaining 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, bay leaf, beef broth and (star anise if using). Stir to combine. If there is not enough liquid to cover the vegetables, add water – only as much as needed.
- Cover and seal the lid and set to 20 minutes with High Pressure on Manual mode. Allow the pressure cooker to release naturally for at least 15 minutes. Stir in the peas and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper if necessary (discard star anise if used). Serve hot with fresh parsley.
TO THICKEN STEW (OPTIONAL):
- Make a slurry by whisking 3 tablespoons of cool water with 2-3 tablespoons cornstarch or flour (all purpose, gluten free or arrowroot powder). Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE and allow the stew to come to a boil and thicken up.