- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- ½ white or yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 3 cups water
- 1½ tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can white navy beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large stock pot melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, orzo, and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes until garlic is fragrant and onions are tender.
- Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, beans, and Italian seasoning and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook 20-25 minutes until orzo pasta is fully cooked and tender.
- If the soup is too thick, add up to 3 cups of water to get a good broth. Taste, add salt and pepper to taste and crushed red pepper flakes. Serve warm and garnish with freshly chopped basil or parsley if desired.