1/3 cup chopped no sugar added or paleo dark chocolate , divided (we use Lily’s)
- 1/4 cup unsalted creamy almond butter
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted grass-fed butter , OR ghee for strict Paleo
- 1/2 cup golden monk fruit sweetener
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 large eggs room temperature , lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sifted cacao powder OR unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sifted superfine blanched almond flour
- pinch of sea salt for topping , optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line an 8×8 square pan with parchment paper leaving a slight overhang (for easier removal). Set aside.
- In a large heat-safe bowl, heat 1/4 cup of the chopped chocolate, almond butter, coconut oil and butter over a double-boiler on the stove (or in the microwave in 20-second increments), until chocolate is just melted and smooth (stir well in between – do not overheat).
- Whisk in sweetener, vanilla and salt. Whisk in eggs and beat until fluffy and well incorporated. Stir in cocoa powder followed by the almond flour until just combined (do not overmix). Fold in remaining chopped chocolate or chocolate chips.
- Spread batter into prepared pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Top with additional chopped chocolate or chips, if desired.
- Bake in preheated oven for 16-22 minutes – underbake for fudgier brownies. (*Since every oven is different, bake slightly longer if the brownies seem too gooey but it’s better to underbake since you can always put the pan back in the oven.)
- Allow to completely cool before slicing into even squares. Top with pinch of sea salt, if desired.