- 1.4 lb / 700 g ground beef (beef mince) (Note 1)
- 1 onion, grated (brown, white or yellow), squeezed of excess juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese (optional – extra flavour boost)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 egg
- 1½ tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 large rashers of bacon, or 12 rashers of streaky bacon
- 2 onions, halved and sliced
- 2 tomatoes, sliced thickly
- 4 hamburger buns, cut in half
- 4 slices tasty or cheddar cheese
- Tomato ketchup, tomato sauce of BBQ sauce
- Place the Beef Burger ingredients in a bowl. Use your hands to mix until just combined.
- Divide into 4 balls and flatten into patties that are slightly larger than the hamburger buns (because they will shrink slightly when cooking). The patties should be about 1½ cm / ⅔ inches.
- Indent the centre of the patties slightly using your thumb. This stops the Beef Burger from becoming a dome shape and shrinking as it cooks.
- Place patties in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. Or overnight if you are making these in advance.
- Turn oven on very low (for keeping bacon and onion warm).
- Heat oil in large heavy based pan over high heat, or BBQ. (See note 2)
- Add bacon and cook to your liking. For hamburgers, I like mine browned but not crisp. Remove bacon from pan and place on a tray, pop into the oven to keep warm.
- Add onion to the pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until browned and soft. Place in the oven with the bacon to keep warm.
- Place patties in the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes until the underside is nicely browned.
- Flip the Beef Burgers and cook the other side for 1 minute. Then place a slice of cheese on each Beef Burger, cover with lid (see note 1) and cook for a further 1 to 1½ minutes until nicely browned (or to your liking) and the cheese is melted.
- Remove Beef Burgers from the pan and set aside to rest, loosely covered with foil.
- While the burgers are resting, crack the eggs into the pan and cook to your liking.
- Lightly toast the hamburger buns (optional).
- To assemble, spread tomato ketchup on the hamburger bun. Top with lettuce and tomato, then the Beef Burger, bacon then onion, and lastly egg. Place top of hamburger bun on top.
- Serve immediately!