- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1″ pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1½ cups halved grape tomatoes
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1½ cups instant brown rice (or use white — see note)
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1-2 tbsp fresh, chopped basil
- In a large skillet, heat oil for medium-high heat. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat, turning once, until browned.
- Add tomatoes and cook about 2 minutes, until blistered. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in rice and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover pan and cook for about 3 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Turn off heat and stir in cheese and basil. Serve!
*You should be able to use instant white rice in this recipe without any issues. The main difference between white and brown rice is that brown cooks longer, so you may be able to skip the covering of the pan and those extra few minutes of cook time.