- 10 slices texas toast-style white bread
- 2 cups milk (I used fat free half and half)
- 6 eggs
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup flour
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, chilled
- ½ cup chopped pecans (I used Diamond of California)
- Cut bread into 1 inch cubes and place in a greased 9×13 inch casserole dish.
- Prepare the topping by combining brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt in a bowl and whisking to distribute ingredients well. Cut butter into small cubes and add to dry ingredients. Mash in with a fork or pastry cutter. Stir in chopped pecans. Cover and place in fridge.
- In a medium bowl whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla, sugar, and cinnamon. Pour over bread in the casserole dish. Cover and chill overnight.
- Next morning preheat oven to 350 degrees. Uncover topping bowl and casserole dish. Sprinkle topping over the soaked bread mixture. Bake uncovered for 35-45 minutes until golden and bread is baked through.
- Drizzle with syrup or sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm.
*Prep and cook times do not include overnight chilling time.