Overnight Peach French Toast
- 3-4 large or 6-8 medium peaches (enough to yield about 2 1/2 cups sliced)
- 2 tablespoons lightly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 8 ounces French bread, sliced (leave out for a few hours to stale if possible)
- 8 large eggs
- 1 (12-ounce) can non-fat evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup non-fat milk
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons bourbon (optional but delicious)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Optional, for serving: Maple syrup, powdered sugar, butter, whipped cream, and/or Greek yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- Peel the peaches: Bring a large pot of water deep enough to cover the peaches to a gentle boil. Carefully drop in the peaches, let boil for 1 minute, then remove with a slotted spoon and plunge immediately into an ice batch to stop the cooking. Run each peach under cool water—the skins should slip off easily. Slice, then place in a small bowl with the brown sugar and lemon juice. Stir lightly to coat and set aside.
- Lightly coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange the bread slices in a single layer along the bottom of the dish. Try to cover the entire surface of the dish, cutting or tearing slices to fit as necessary.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, evaporated milk, non-fat milk, maple syrup, bourbon, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt. Pour over the bread. Lightly press down on the bread slices so that the egg mixture runs over the top.
- Arrange the peach slices over the top of the bread, leaving any excess juices in the bottom of the bowl. Cover the pan tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- The next morning, remove the pan from the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to baking. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake the French toast, uncovered, until the top is lightly browned and the center is set but still moist, about 45 to 55 minutes. Check at the 40-minute mark. If the French toast seems to be browning too quickly, tent with foil, then continue baking as directed. Let stand for 10 minutes, then serve warm with desired toppings.