Rancheros Tofu Scramble
For the Scramble:
- 1 block 14 oz (400g) Firm Tofu* (see notes) drained and pressed
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric ground, for color (optional)
- 15 oz (425g) Prepared Pinto Beans – one can, drained
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
For the Rancheros Sauce (yields 2 C (545g)):
- 14 1/2 oz (411g) Fire Roasted Tomatoes 1 can
- 1 C (115g) Green Bell Pepper diced, about 1 small
- 1 C (100g) Purple Onion diced, about 1 small
- 1 Large Clove of Garlic
- 1 Chipotle Chili Pepper in Adobo Sauce gluten free is needed
- 2 tsp Adobo Sauce from can of chipotle chili peppers
- 4-6 Pickled Jalapeno Pepper Rings take this up if you like the spicy!
- 1 tsp Cumin ground
- 3/4 tsp Sea Salt
Serve With (optional):
- Warm Soft Tortillas** (see note) gluten free if needed, I like La Tortilla Factory
- Sliced Avocados
- Additional Rancheros Sauce
Cook the Tofu: In a non-stick 10″ (25 cm) skillet, heat to medium-low and crumble the tofu into the pan. They should be in bite size pieces. Sprinkle in the turmeric, and cook on medium low for about 8-10 minutes, drying the tofu out even further, tossing and turning occasionally with a spatula to evenly distribute the turmeric. Some bits may brown a little – this is fine.
Add the beans to the tofu, salt and 1 C (290g) rancheros sauce (see below for instructions) to the pan. Stir gently to incorporate. Add more rancheros sauce if desired. Warm through on medium-low – about 5 minutes, stirring as needed. Taste for salt adjustment.
For the Rancheros Sauce:
In a blender, (I use VitaMix) add the fire roasted tomatoes, green bell pepper, onion, garlic, chili pepper, adobo sauce, jalapeños, cumin and sea salt. Pulse ingredients until chunky, about 5-6 times. It’s now ready to use in the recipe.
Spoon the tofu mixture into warmed tortillas**, place a few slices of avocado along side the tofu mixture and top with more rancheros sauce and cilantro to taste.
Store leftover sauce in the refrigerator for up to a week or in the freezer for up to a month. Leftover Rancheros Tofu Scramble can be stored in a lidded container, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.