Sausage Taco Cauliflower Rice Skillet
- 1 lb (450g) ground Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1/3 cup diced green pepper (or Jalapeño)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium can diced tomatoes or 3 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 12 oz bag steamed riced cauliflower (or 1 head cauliflower, riced)
- 2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning or taco seasoning packet
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, or mozzarella
- 1/2 cup Monterrey jack cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for topping
1. In a cast iron skillet, melt butter, add the sausage and cook over medium-high heat until cooked through, breaking up the sausage with a wooden spoon. Stir the red onion, pepper, and garlic into the meat and saute for one minute, until fragrant.
2. Steam the riced cauliflower in the microwave according to package directions.
3. Add homemade taco seasoning, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and cauliflower rice to the skillet. Stir well to combine then cook on medium-low heat for 5-7 minutes until extra liquid is absorbed. If the mixture gets too thick to your taste, add a little more chicken broth.
4. Simmer on low covered for 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.
5. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top, cover and simmer until cheese is melted. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and serve immediately. Enjoy!