Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs
- 4 lbs (about 8 ribs) beef short ribs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 beef stock cubes -or- 1 tub Knorr concentrated beef stock
- ½ cup water
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 lb peeled baby carrots
- 1 small bay leaf
- ½ tsp thyme (or 3 sprigs fresh)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy saute pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Season ribs with salt & pepper to taste.
- Brown short ribs on all sides. Place browned short ribs in a 6-7 quart slow cooker.
- In the same pan you browned the ribs in, add the onion, garlic and mushrooms and saute over medium-low heat until onion is slightly tender (about 3-5 minutes). Deglaze the pan with the ½ cup water. Add the stock cubes (or tub of concentrated stock), the entire can of diced tomatoes (including liquid), the bay leaf, carrots and the thyme. Mix well.
- Pour over ribs in slow cooker. Cover and cook on HI 4-6 hours, LOW 8-10 hours. Cooking times are a guide only as slow cookers do cook at different rates. Check at minimum times for each setting for doneness.
- Remove ribs to serving platter, cover with foil and keep warm in a low oven (approx 200 degrees F).
- Remove as much fat from the pan juices as possible (for what I do, see narrative above).
- Transfer pan juices to a large skillet and reduce sauce to ½ over medium-high heat. This will take about 5 minutes. This step may be eliminated if you want a less-intense flavor to the sauce.
- Pour sauce over ribs on serving platter. Serve with rice or over mashed potatoes.