- 1 3/4 cup diced carrots (3 medium)
- 1 3/4 cup diced yellow onion (1 large)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 (28 oz) cans whole Roma tomatoes
- 1 (32 oz) carton vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil , plus more for garnish
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 16 oz refrigerated three cheese tortellini
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Parmesan , shredded, for serving
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onion and saute 3 – 4 minutes, add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
Pour mixture into a 6 or 7 quart slow cooker along with tomatoes, vegetable broth, basil, bay leaves, sugar. Stir and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover slow cooker and cook on LOW 6 – 7 hours or HIGH 3 – 3 1/2 hours.
Remove bay leaves then puree mixture well in small batches in a blender (only fill blender 2/3 full and cover removable insert with a kitchen towel) or us an emulsion blender*.
Stir in tortellini, cover and cook on HIGH heat 15 – 20 minutes longer (or until heated through).
Reduce heat to warm, stir in heavy cream. Serve topped with parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
Recipe Source: Cooking Classy