- 1 medium head of cauliflower , about 600 – 700g / 1.2 – 1.4 lb (Note 1)
- 500 g / 1 lb zucchinis (2 large), peeled and cut into 1.5cm / 3/5″ slices
- 1 large onion , roughly chopped (brown, white, yellow)
- 2 garlic cloves , whole
- 2 cups / 500 ml vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups / 500 ml water
- 1 cup / 250 ml 0% fat milk (or other milk of choice)
- 1/2 tsp each garlic powder and onion powder (or 1 tsp of one of them)
- Pinch black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 onion , chopped (brown, white, yellow)
- 2 large carrots , cut into 1.25cm / 1/2″ pieces
- 3 celery sticks , cut into 0.75cm / 1/4″ slices
- 2 red capsicum / bell peppers , cut into 1 cm / 2/5″ pieces
- 500 g / 1 lb zucchinis (2 large), peeled and cut into 1.25cm / 1/2″ slices
- 1 tsp dried thyme (or other herb of choice)
- Salt and pepper
- Finely chopped parsley , optional garnish
For soup – Break off 1/4 of the cauliflower into small bite size florets and put aside to use in the soup.
For broth – Break up the rest of the cauliflower into medium florets. If you have a small cauliflower, use the stem too – peel then rough dice.
Place cauliflower for broth in a large pot. Add zucchini, onion, whole garlic cloves, vegetable broth and water. (Note 2)
Place lid on, bring to boil then adjust heat so it’s simmering energetically. Cook for 15 minutes or until cauliflower is soft.
Transfer to blender (Note 3), add garlic powder, onion powder, pepper and milk. Place lid on, place tea towel on lid and hold down very firmly, then whizz to puree soup, starting on low then getting faster.
Remove lid. Marvel at super low cal ultra creamy soup broth.
Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic, cook for 1 minute. Then add carrots and celery, cook for 2 minutes.
Add thyme, capsicum and zucchini. Cook until softened, around 2 minutes.
Pour in soup broth. Adjustment consistency with water to achieve desired thickness. Add reserved cauliflower.
Simmer 5 minutes to bring flavours together. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve, garnished with parsley. Or splurge your calorie credits on a piece of grilled cheese to dunk into the soup!!