- 4 medium chicken breasts (or 2 chicken breasts, sliced horizontally)
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Crushed red chili pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 5 medium tomatoes, (chopped in cubes)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 3 – 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, or a mix…)
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) or in broiler mode. Combine salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, paprika, and crushed red chili pepper flake in a small bowl. Rub the chicken with the seasoning mixture and set aside.
2. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large oven-proof skillet (cast-iron) over medium heat and cook chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side, until cooked through, nicely browned and no longer pink on the inside. Remove to a plate and set aside.
3. In the same skillet, add remaining butter and cook garlic and onion for one minute, until fragrant. Add tomatoes and cook for a couple of minutes, until they break down and render some juice. Stir in chicken broth, and add spinach. Cook for one minute or two, until spinach is wilted.
4. Add chicken back to the skillet with the spinach and tomato sauce. Sprinkle chicken with shredded cheese, then transfer the skillet to the oven and broil quickly until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from oven, garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve immediately. Enjoy!