cheesy vegan pumpkin rolls
- 1 bulb garlic
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt + pinch
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper + pinch
- 1 C pumpkin puree
- 1/4 C nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped sage
- 1 tsp fresh chopped rosemary
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- 1/4 C herb & garlic vegan cream cheese
- 1/2 C grated vegan parmesan (or other grated cheese of your choice)
- 1 pkg / 1 lbs puff pastry (thawed overnight in the fridge)
- To roast the bulb of garlic, preheat the oven to 400°F. Cut the whole bulb in half lengthwise and coat with 1 tsp olive oil on top of the cloves and a pinch of sea salt and ground pepper. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and the cloves are caramelized and soft.
- Once the garlic is done roasting set the oven to pre-heat to 425°F.
- Combine the roasted cloves of garlic with pumpkin puree, the remaining 1/2 tsp sea salt and 1/4 tsp ground pepper, nutritional yeast, sage, rosemary, cinnamon, nutmeg, cream cheese, and parmesan cheese until well combined. You can also pre-make the filling the night before and the flavors will develop even more.
- Lightly flour a clean counter surface, your hands, and a rolling pin and roll out the pastry to a rectangle about 18″ wide x 12″ high and about 1/8″ thick. As you roll the pastry out lift it every so often and lightly flour underneath the pastry to ensure it doesn’t stick. Flip the rectangle of pastry to ensure the short end of the pastry is facing you.
- Spread all the filling evenly onto the pastry and right out to the edges. Then roll up from the short end tightly, like a pin wheel or jelly roll.
- Cut the log in half. If the pastry feels warmer and is too soft to cut evenly after rolling it up, just wrap the halves of the log in wax paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate or place in the freezer until firmer. Do not freeze solid, just enough to get the log and pastry more firm. Then slice into 1/2″ slices delicately with a long sharp knife. Don’t push down or all the filling will squeeze out and your rolls will be very misshapen. Rather saw back and forth through the log.
- Place the rolls or slices onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Again, if the rolls are also quite warm by the time you’ve placed them on a baking sheet refrigerate or freeze the baking sheet with the rolls on them so they go into the oven cold.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Remove the baking tray from the oven and you can remove the rolls immediately to a serving platter for snacking!