- 1 sheet ready-made puff pastry, thawed
- 1 (3-4 oz.) milk or dark chocolate bar
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoons water
- For topping (optional):
- Fresh berries, such as raspberries or strawberries
- Sifted powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay puff pastry on top of prepared baking sheet. Place chocolate bar, vertically, in the center of the puff pastry.
- Slice diagonal strips, about 1/2-inch apart, down pastry flaps on either side of the chocolate. Starting at the top, fold strips over each other, alternating on both sides until chocolate is covered and all strips have been crossed. Fold flaps on bottom over pastry strips to fully encase chocolate.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg and water to make an egg wash. Lightly brush the pastry with the egg wash, coating well.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until pastry is puffed and golden. Let cool for 5 minutes. Top with sifted powdered sugar and fresh berries, if desired.