EASY HAM AND CHEESE PRETZEL PINWHEELS
Prep timpe : / Cook Time :
- 2 cans refrigerated breadstick dough (24 breadsticks)
- 4 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup baking soda, plus more if needed
- 1 lb deli ham
- 1 lb cheddar cheese slices
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Coarse salt, such as kosher salt, pretzel salt, or sea salt, to top
- Dijon or honey mustard, to serve
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Separate the breadsticks and set aside. Using a pizza cutter, slice the cheddar cheese and ham to be the same width as the breadsticks. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk 1/2 cup baking soda into 4 cups hot water until it dissolves. The baking solution should be just slightly cloudy. Place a kitchen rag next to the bowl.
- Dip a breadstick into the baking solution for 30 seconds. Make sure the entire breadstick has been dipped. Transfer to the kitchen towel to let any excess water drip off.
- Layer the cheese and ham on top of the breadstick. Roll one end of the breadstick inward to create a spiral or pinwheel. Pinch the end of the breadstick to the side to seal. Place on the baking sheet and repeat until the baking sheet is full.
- Bake until golden brown and puffed up, about 15 minutes. Tent the finished pretzels with foil to keep them warm. Repeat for the next batch.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the butter onto the pretzels and sprinkle with salt.
- Serve immediately with mustard to dip.