JAPANESE CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE SOUP
Prep Time : 15MINS / Cook Time : 30MINS
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, sliced (~3 lbs)
- 12 oz soba noodles
- 8 cups hot water
- 4 1/2 tablespoons miso paste
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 small carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 6 scallions, diagonally sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 5 bok-choy halved longways
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- Toasted nori, for topping
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for topping
- Olive oil or canola oil spray
- Line the broiler pan with foil and preheat the broiler on high.
- Place the sliced chicken breasts on the foil-lined pan and spray with olive or canola oil. Place in the oven and broil for about 6 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- Heat a large pot of water until boiling and then add the soba noodles. Cook according to the package instructions, drain the noodles from the water, and set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, add the hot water and heat over medium. Stir in the miso paste until it has completely dissoved into a broth, and then add in the soy sauce, ginger, carrot, scallions, red bell pepper, and bok-choy. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat down to a simmer again and cook until the bok-choi is tender. Lastly, stir in the sesame oil.
- Divide the noodles into bowls, and pour over the vegetables and stock. Add the broiled chicken breast and top with cilantro, extra scallions, and toasted nori. Serve warm.