MEXICAN BRICK CHICKEN WITH GRILLED CORN AND AVOCADOS
Prep Time : 30 mins / Cook Time: 40 mins
- 1 tablespoon ground ancho chile powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1 (4 pound) chicken, spatchcocked
- 2 ears corn on the cob, husks on
- 2 avocados, halved and pitted
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 poblano pepper, stemmed, quartered, and seeded
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, quartered, and seeded
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2 sprigs green onion, sliced, to top
- Cilantro, to top
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the chile powder, salt, oregano, cumin, cinnamon, garlic, vinegar, orange juice, and olive oil. Place the chicken in a large container and pour over the marinade mixture, reserving about 2 tablespoons for the corn and avocados. Cover the chicken and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before grilling.
- Prepare the grill for indirect grilling over medium-high heat. Preheat a heavy cast iron skillet or aluminum foil-wrapped brick over the fire. Brush and oil the grill grates.
- Place the chicken, skin side down, on the cool side of the grill. Place the weight (skillet or brick) on top of the chicken, then cover the grill. Cook until clear grill marks appear, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the weight and move the chicken, still skin side down, to the hottest section of the grill. Place the weight back on the chicken, cover the grill, and cook until the chicken develops a char, about 10 more minutes.
- Flip the chicken so that the skin side faces up and place the weight on top. Grill once more until the thighs are cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables. Microwave the corn in their husks for 3 minutes, then let cool, shuck, and break in half. Drizzle the lime juice over the avocados. Add additional oil to the reserved marinade, as needed, and brush the chiles, onions, avocados, and corn lightly with it.
- Grill the peppers and onion slices until slightly softened, about 5 minutes, with the peppers skin-side-up. Flip the peppers and onions and then place the corn on the grill as well as the avocado, flesh-side down. Continue to cook until lightly charred, about 3 more minutes. Remove the corn, chiles, onions, and avocado and plate.
- Once ready, place the chicken in the center of the vegetables and top with cilantro and green onion. Serve warm.