ROASTED GARLIC AND WHITE BEAN SOUP WITH CRISPY PROSCIUTTO
Prep Time : 20 mins / Cook Time : 1HOURS
- 8 ounces prosciutto
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 celery stalk, diced small
- 12 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 3 tablespoons fresh herbs, chopped (rosemary, parsley, oregano, thyme, or whatever you have on hand)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 (15 ounce) cans small white beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut off the very tops of the skins of the garlic cloves, exposing just a tiny bit of the garlic. Toss in a tablespoon of olive oil and wrap in aluminum foil. Roast the garlic for 30-35 minutes, or until it is soft and can be squeezed out of the skin.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, cook the prosciutto until crispy. Remove the prosciutto with a slotted spoon, cut 2/3 of it into small pieces, and set aside.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil and add in the onion, red bell pepper, and celery. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add in the chopped prosciutto, herbs, salt and pepper, white beans, and chicken stock. Stir to combine well.
- Simmer for 40 minutes with the lid partially ajar. Squeeze in the roasted garlic when it is ready, and stir to combine.
- After 40 minutes have passed, mash up some of the beans using the back of a wooden spoon. Mash up any large chunks of garlic you see as well. Simmer for another 15 minutes. Taste and add additional seasonings if necessary. Serve with crusty bread for dipping!