- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (we use sunflower oil)
- 1 yellow or white onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 C crushed canned tomatoes
- 2 C cooked lentils
- 2 C cooked kidney beans
- 2 C frozen corn, thawed and drained of excess water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- In a large pot heated to medium, sauté onion in oil for about 2 minutes until soft and fragrant. Then add in red pepper and cook for another minute or so.
- Add all the spices and stir to combine sautéing for another 2 minutes. Then add in minced garlic and stir to combine. You may need to reduce heat to prevent the garlic from burning. Then add a small amount of the crushed tomatoes to lift the mixture from the bottom of the pan. Sauté this for another 2 minutes.
- Then add in the remaining crushed tomatoes, lentil, kidney beans, corn, sea salt, and ground pepper. Stir to combine, cover with a lid, and simmer for 20 minutes. You can cook for longer, but if you want it done quickly it tasted great after this amount of cooking.
- Top with vegan sour cream, chopped green onions, and more ground pepper. We used tofutti in the pictures and video, but here is the recipe for our cashew sour cream.